Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Friends

Every month for almost five years a group of 6 girls (including me) have gotten together for our book club. I use book club loosely because we don't actually read a book. Before you laugh let me explain- there are books involved and each of us reads a book (or more) each month (unless we are really busy). So at book club we bring the book we read and everyone takes a turn picking one of the books to take home for that month. It is kind of like a book exchange club. It is really fun and there is no pressure to feel like you HAVE to read a particular book. If you don't like a book you just take it home for the month.
The six of us have seen each other get married, have children, move into new houses, have more children, and on and on. We have grown very close over the last five years and try never to miss our monthly club.  Sometimes it is a challenge to find a day each month that fits all our busy schedules, but we always make it work because we know if we start canceling for this or that soon we won't meet at all anymore and we don't want that to happen to us. Sadly one of our members is moving and it was her last book club yesterday. It was a bittersweet occasion. One had we are so excited that she is starting a new job in a new city. On the other hand we are going to miss her tremendously and our little group won't be the same without her in it.

At our last book club yesterday each of us bought her a book we want her to read and wrote a note inside the cover. I chose "Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasan. If you have ever read his books you know they ca-razy. I love them though! I figured she would never forget that crazy book and then never forget about me. Hopefully my thinking is right on this one! Along with the book I made this frame for her to take to her new home. We have a plan to meet every year so we decided each year she would change the picture out with a new one of us.

Here are some close ups of the flowers. I used my cricut to cut the flowers out of book pages (because it is book club!) and then layered them.




3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful frame and thoughtful gift for your friend, i'm sorry she's leaving :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a book club, I love it!!! Your frame is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete